Skip to main content

Solvang, Wine Tasting and Writing

Emory and I traveled up to Solvang located in Santa Barbara County, California. It's a little Danish village. The drive from where we live was about an hour and forty minutes up the coastline so we could look at the beach coming in. We should have stopped, but we both wanted to get up there because we left rather late in the day.

We stayed at the Sideways Inn which had a movie filmed at that location. There is an RV Park behind the Inn and it was crowded. We were hoping the hot tub would be opened, but only the pool was in operation and it's a lot cooler up in that area so I wasn't down for swimming.

The thing about this town... everything shuts down by 5:00pm sharp. We got in late enough that we tried to use "Happy Cow" to find a vegan restaurant and everything was closed for the night. We drove a little farther out and found a little place called California Tacos. I got a veggie bowl and I think they put mashed potatoes at the bottom of the bowl. I couldn't really figure that mushy substance out, but I'm banking on my taste buds.

We walked all day, but we ended up deciding to do a wine tasting and there was another couple at the bar. It was so much fun that we stayed and drank more than we should. We were supposed to meet them after dinner but we crashed hard when we got back to the hotel. I didn't wake up until 1:00am.

Next day we did a wine tasting at three vineyards. It was fantastic. I think the last one was my favorite. We got to walk through the vineyard and look at the grapes. We had a oil tasting with flavored cooking oils. (My aunt buys a lot of this stuff and she got us a really spicy oil that tastes good in everything). The last vineyard we sat out on lawn chairs under his great big trees. The grass was so plush under our feet and the air was so cool. We ended up buying a red wine called Colt's 1st Show and Emory chose a white dessert wine. He never choses wine so it was cool having this experience with him finding something he really, truly wanted.

On our way back, we got coffee and I drove so Emory had a chance to look out over the coastline.

Writing Update

E.W. 4/? chapters edited. I changed the spelling of a character's name so now I need to be careful about that. I also made four of my women into men. Luckily for me, I don't have a lot of pronouns to fix.