Monday, May 22, 2017

Route 66, Flagstaff and Winslow AZ


I was invited to a wedding in Albuquerque New Mexico. It’s roughly a seven hour drive from Phoenix, AZ. We didn’t leave as soon as we thought we would. It took another hour to figure out if we had everything we needed. I still forgot my dancing boots since this is a southwestern wedding. 

Our first stop was in Anthem, which is hard to explain the location of. A new grocery store on his route opened up and he wanted me to check it out. It has a wine and beer bar! If you want to make your shopping experience better, drink a little. I would’ve gladly moved into that store! They had everything from a hot deli, cheese bar, huge bakery, a clothing section, etc. Food wise, Emory said it has the same things our stores have, but I don’t know. Something about that place just screamed FAR MORE EXOTIC!

Fry's Grocery Store Anthem, AZ
 We stopped in Flagstaff for gasoline and ice green tea. We made a small detour to the mall, since we use to live in Flagstaff for school. I wasn’t planning on buying anything, but then I saw Spencer’s and had to stop. They had a few Rick and Morty items and MAN!! It was hard not to just grab a basket and do some major collecting. Instead, I bought a glass Rick and Morty jar with a lid to keep my smelly herbs contained. I also bought a bag of incense.  Love my Rick and Morty stuff! Actually, this is officially my very first thing to own!  
 
It was HOT in the valley where I’m from, so when we debated on bringing coats… we actually didn’t and regretted that decision immediately. It was so cold in Flagstaff and beyond. We stopped in Winslow, Arizona if you remember the song: Take it Easy from the Eagles:

Well, I’m a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see. It’s a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin’ down to take a look at me. 

"Take it Easy" from the Eagles, Winslow AZ
 So Emory got his picture by the “flatbed ford” which is pretty fun that it’s sitting right there by the statues and a Route 66 sign. The town itself seemed extremely small. We got a few pictures then went right across the street for some soft serve ice cream. There was a hotel in that vicinity that my mom wanted me to check out. It’s one of the last standing hotels marking a generation that has long passed, but I can’t remember what the hotel was called. We didn’t make it because it was already pretty late in the day so we continued on the road.

There are so many things we wanted to stop at, but decided to add it to a list and come back when we have some vacation time together. Emory’s work schedule is wonky so he doesn’t have as much freedom as I do. 

Flagstaff, AZ

No comments: