Friday, March 24, 2017

Road Trip, Junk Food and Writing

We stayed at the Excalibur hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. I spent a good deal of my childhood between Excalibur and Treasure Island.... and a lot of time on the Strip. 


Despite working a half shift before taking this 5 hr drive to our destination, I felt extremely invigorated once we got there. It's Spring Break though, so I wasn't surprised by the sheer amount of people waiting in line to get their rooms. I stayed with the luggage while Emory got us set up with the front desk.

The first order of business was to eat, since we didn't bother to do that before we left. Okay. That's not entirely true.

The night before, we went to the grocery store for some inexpensive sugar-fix junk food and we actually spent the 5 hour drive munching on powdered donuts. The eating frenzy started at this point. But to my joy (and what a joy it is!), there are a number of places that offer vegetarian options now. I got a veggie burger and fries, though the ice tea was horrible. It looked like dirty water and had a musky taste to it. Emory, craving fried chicken, went with another vendor and his tea was excellent.

We walked more than half the Strip. I think we made it to Bally's and then we crossed the street and came back. We had a few drinks at Octane and watched the women line up for Thunder Down Under. I actually would do this again because it was a lot of fun, (being two Hurricane drinks deep), watching the ladies in their cute dresses hoping they'd get lucky with the male strippers.

I think we walked more, but at this point... 2 Hurricanes deep...  I wasn't going to remember much anyways.

There are so many things we didn't get a chance to do, but we did get to see another standup comedy show. It makes me want to try my luck at the comedy business. I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe.

I did a little shopping. Emory did a little gambling. We both did a bit of drinking.

I love that place so much. I can't explain it, and though so much of it has changed since my childhood, it's like being wrapped in my favorite blanket and knowing (child logic) that nothing will hurt or contain me. I'm wild here. I'm free here.

Writing Update:

All my writing was by hand in my notebook. I have an alternate universe story that I'd like to make room to write, but at this time, I might have to draw the line on the 3 projects I'm already rotating between.

However; my AU should be pretty comedic. I read Emory a couple of lines from the notes I jotted and got my desired effects, which is good because we don't always read the same genres and I wanted to know that my idea could carry some weight.

No comments: