Friday, January 06, 2017

Anonymous Profile Pictures and My Mom

It is very clear that my mom doesn't watch the same movies that I do, nor does she have any interest at all in these darker shows. I kind of wonder now. When I was a child, one of my favorite memories is going to the movies with her, super early in the morning. We were the only people in the theater. I was still in elementary (not that my imagination still doesn't run away with me) so being fairly alone in a dark theater with a somber movie was a little scary.

We watched Batman Returns together. The opening credits alone are a little freaky even today, though I'm old enough to shrug it off.

My point is this: My mom is now downsizing her house and she uses Letgo as her outlet for selling. Like all websites, you have the option of positing a picture either of yourself or something to sort of represent that "self" you don't want to actually expose to the internet. My mom used a real picture of herself but EVERYONE contacting her has not.

She still hasn't learned. She'll show me a picture and say, "I can't meet them! It says in his profile they go to church, but... I mean, look at him! He goes to church looking like that?" In which I have to reply, "Mom... Seriously? Haven't you seen ANY of the commercials for Suicide Squad? That's the Joker."

A week later, she is concerned again. "You should see these people who follow me. Do they really dress like this? It's so strange! They want to do a trade, but I'm trying to get rid of things, not bring something new into the house." I look at the picture and frown. "This picture is from the picnic in Sweeney Todd. It's a movie." At her confusion I add, "This is Johnny Depp and Helena Carter." She looks vastly relieved. "Phew... Could you imagine?" Yes, I could and it would be awesome if people actually walked around dressed like this!

Let's not forget the time we were driving back from dance practice and she handed me her phone so I could see her Letgo account. "Look at them! They're following me. They look like they just robbed a bank." She hands me the phone and I look at the picture, immediately recognizing the way they are dressed. My brother had a small stint in high school when he loved the Insane Clown Posse lyrics, but he never dressed like them so my mom is probably not familiar with it. I explained to her that these people were just in love with the ICP band.

Long story short... my mom doesn't understand the anonymous side of the internet. It's funny and cute. I spent most of the night laughing about the Suicide Squad photo, since Batman is one of my favorite DC heroes. You would think she'd at least recognize the Joker, if not anyone else in the long line of villains.

My mom and I are so much alike. Maybe that's why when we get together, we find ourselves giggling a lot about such random things. 

No comments: